Reserve Team Match Reports 2010/11

January 8th 2011

Dolgellau Reserves 1 - 4 Bow Street Reserves

Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Bow Street Reserves climbed up to third place in the Cambrian Tyres Aberystwyth and District League Divsion One with a convincing 4-1 verdict at Dolgellau Reserves last Saturday.

Dolgellau had failed to build on a promising start to the game, and the visitors punished them on the counter-attack, with Mark Evans opening the visitors' account from close range. Dolgellau pushed forward in search of an equaliser, but were restricted to one long range effort from Mark Bridge, who was always threatening, and a chance for Rodney Lee Thomas who went clear on goal, only to be denied by the visiting keepers legs.

However, Bow Street soaked up the pressure and they extended their lead on the hour when Gerwyn Loosley rounded the home keeper to score. Street again punished them at the other end when substitute Ian Evans forced himself down the left side, outpacing three defenders, before slotting past the home keeper. The Meirionnydd men attacked again and finally replied from a corner, with Elfyn Dafydd volleying in an unstoppable shot from 12 yards. However, it was the visitors who finished on top, with Loosley creating the chance for Evans to complete his brace and secure the three points.

January 15th 2011

Llanrhystud 2 v 4 Bow Street Res

Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Bow Street met Llanrhystud Saturday hoping for a win to close the gap on the leaders. Bow Street started brightly and went ahead after 12 minutes, Marc Loosely finishing across Nathan Bennett and into the far corner after a superb through ball from Clive Morgan. This goal seemed to wake up Llanrhystud with Lee Jones looking dangerous running at the Bow Street defence from deep, and it was no surprise when after 25 minutes a Lee Jones free kick was finished off by David Jones from 6 yards. Bow Street then had the better of the remainder of the first half and went 2-1 up after 34 minutes thanks to an absolute bullet from Clive Morgan, hit from all of 35 yards which flew into the top corner of the net. Bow Street going in at half time 2-1 up.

Llanrhystud came out of the traps at the beginning of the second half and put the visitors defence under severe pressure, then after 55 minutes some good skill in the middle of park from David Jones saw him shoot from 25 yards which caught visting goalkeeper David Gregory a little by surprise and the ball landed in the back of the net for Llanrhystud's equaliser. The remainder of the half was quite even, however Bow Street looked dangerous on the counter attack and on 75 minutes a sweeping move from back to front allowed Gerwyn Loosely to cut in from the left and finish in the far corner. Five minutes later an uncharacteristic mistake from Bennett allowed G.Loosely a simple tap in and secure the 3 points for Bow Street.

Bow Street Captain Tom Bates was delighted with the victory "we knew today was going to be a tough game but for us, it was a must win game if we were to have any chance of competing for the title" Bates added "I still think the league is wide open and there will be a few more twists and turns come May".

February 19th 2011

J. Emrys Morgan - Round 2

Rhayader Reserves 3 v 1 Bow Street Reserves

Bow Street went into this Emrys Morgan tie on the end of a defeat to local rivals Talybont against a Rhayader side that were showing formidable form in their league. With Hugh Griffiths and James Scarrott unavailable due to work commitments and Toby Spain away on holiday Neil Davies and Steffan Foulkes were called up from the Under 17’s and Steven Mills made his first start since injuring his ankle in pre-season.
Both sides started the game very cautiously with Rhayader making most of the attacking and Street looking to break quickly on the counter attack. After 15 minutes some good work down the left hand side by Dan Goodman resulted in his cross finding Darren Murphy who slotted calmly from 5 yards past stand in keeper Danny Whiteway. After an almost identical move in the 25th minute the prolific Mike Cooper slotted home from close range after some good work in the box by Murphy. Going two goals down seemed to force Streets’ hand more into attacking the Rhayader back four and were unlucky after 30 mins when Mark Evans was put through on goal by Clive Morgan only for Evans to be brought down just outside the area by the Rhayader keeper, who somehow avoided a straight red card. With just 8 minutes left of the half Street were given hope of a come-back when Marc Loosely was put through on goal. The goalkeeper seemed to have things under control however he fumbled his clearance which Loosley finished from 15 yards.
Street started the second half brightly with Anthony Evans making some good runs down the right side and Stephen Harrison showing a lot of composure in the middle of midfield, however it was Rhayader that scored what turned out to be a decisive third goal, Murphy firing across Whiteway into the far corner to all but seal their passage into the next round. Street continued to press and with 5 minutes left on the clock substitute Huw Bates hit the bar with a diving header at the far post and 2 minutes later Lee Jones was put through on goal only for his effort cannon off the woodwork. The game ending 3-1 to Rhayader.
Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin was upbeat after the game despite exiting the prestigious competition “we came up against a very strong side today and I cannot complain about the result, however with a bit of a luck we may have been able to get something out of the game” Simkin added “the attitude of all the players today was tremendous, they all put 110% into the game and I couldn’t ask for any more than that”.
Bow Street: D.Whiteway, A.Evans (S.Foulkes 78), M.Evans, I.Frost (H.Bates 78), S.Mills (N.Davies 73), T.Bates (c), C.Morgan, S.Harrison, L.Jones, I.Evans, M.Loosely.
February 26th 2011
Cwpan Ceredigion - Round 3

Bow Street Reserves 0 v 1 Cardigan

Bow Street went into their Cwpan Ceredigion 3rd Round tie hoping to avenge their 8-2 defeat in last years semi final. Toby Spain returned between the sticks for the home side, Huw Griffiths and James Scarrott returned in defence however Clive Morgan and Gerwyn Loosely were unavailable.
Cardigan started the game much the stronger and it was no surprise when after 15 minutes they took the lead after a counter attack which caught the Street defence short at the back, Cardigan continued to push, however Street’s five man midfield held strong against a very good Cardigan midfield. On the stroke of half time Street lost Ian Frost to a nasty head injury which subsequently required stitches.
Bow Street started the second half with more purpose and began to use the ball far better, however Cardigan’s defence held firm with Street unable to create any clear cut chances. With Cardigan only turning up to the game with 11 players they seemed happy to hold out for a one nil victory with one or two of their players carrying knocks but they were always dangerous on the counter attack. With only 2 minutes left on the clock Street had their best opportunity to equalise when a long hopeful ball fell to the feet of 16 year old Steffan Foulkes but his shot was hit straight into the arms of the Cardigan keeper much to their relief.
Despite their second cup exit in as many weeks Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin was still remaining positive “Despite us being knocked out of two cups in as many weeks I cannot fault the boys attitudes and effort, we have been knocked out of these cups by two very good sides that will be pushing if not champions of their respective leagues” Simkin added “at the moment continuity of team selection is a problem what with first team call ups and availability, but the three players that we have called up from the U17s squad, namely Anthony Evans, Neil Evans and Steffan Foulkes have been superb”.
Bow Street: T.Spain, A.Evans (S.Foulkes 80), M.Evans, H.Bates, T.Bates, H.Griffiths, J.Scarrott, S.Harrison, I.Frost, D.Whiteway 40, (N.Davies 75), I.Evans, M.Loosley
March 5th 2011
Len and Julia Newman Memorial Trophy, 1st Round

Bow Street Res 1 v 5 Aber Uni Res

Having been knocked out of three cups in as many weeks Bow Street were hoping to progress to the second round of the Len and Julia Memorial Trophy against UWA Res. Dave Gregory returned in goal and Clive Morgan to midfield, however Street were missing several players with Ian Evans being called up tot he first team, Huw griffiths injured, Lee Jones suspended, Huw Bates unavailable and Phil Evans having to drop out of the squad due to the senior player rule. James Thomas was called in to make his first appearence for Street in many years.
Both teams started brightly but after 12 minutes it was UWA who took the lead when Matt Bambrick curled a sublime effort into the top corner which gave Dave Gregory no chance. Street were left shell-shocked 5 minutes later when Louie Middlehurst bent a free kick from all of 20 yards into the same top corner which gave Gregory no chance. Street continued to press and after some excellent play down the left between Clive Morgan and Marc Loosely, Mark Evans had a great chance to score only for his legs to be taken away from behind by UWA defender but no penalty given. Loosely then hit a fine shot from 18 yards which was tipped onto the bar by the visiting goalkeeper. Tom Bates hit the woodwork after 30 mins with Evans unable to convert after the ball fell back to him off the bar from 5 yards. James Scarrotts tap in was then disallowed for off side after some fine play by Evans. This was the turning point in the match and after 35 minutes a cross from Bambrick went straight into the far top corner and minutes later Ant Mcnally hit a left foot volley from all of 25 yards which went straight into the top corner.
Street came out second half, although beaten, kept trying to find a way back into the game with the UWA content to sit deep. With just 10 minutes left UWA sub bundled home from 5 yards after a fine save from Gregory to make it five nil to the visitors. Street were awarded a penalty on 90 minutes for a foul on Evans and substitute James Thomas coolly converted.
March 19th 2011
Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Bow Street Reserves 2 v 0 Dolgellau Reserves

Bow Street ended their recent blip in results with a hard fought victory over Dolgellau's second string. Street were forced to make several changes due to first team call ups, injury and unavailability. Gerwyn Evans made only his second start of the campaign after injury and Neil Davies, David Gallagher and Steffan Foulkes were called up from the U17s squad.


Dolgellau started brightly and only some good saves from keeper Toby Spain and some last ditch defending kept the scores level, however on 27 mins a Gerwyn Evans corner was headed home at the far post by fellow veteran Hugh Griffiths to give Street the lead. Five minutes later some fine play from Marc Loosely down the right ended in his cross being fired home by Lee Jones for his second goal in as many games.

After allowing a two goal lead slip last weekend Street started the second half nervously but Stephen Harrison was in fine form marshalling the back four from sweeper to keep Dolgellau at bay. With Dolgellau seemingly beaten Street missed several second half chances to extend their lead, Jones firing over from the edge of the box and Ian Frost missing from a similar angle. With the game won Street were able to give a debut to David Gallagher and Neil Davies and Steffan Foulkes also made their second appearance of the season for the senior squad.
Manager Barrie Jones was delighted with the win "we had to make a lot of changes today but all the lads did superb" Jones added "I thought Harry and Frosty were superb today and the three youngsters from the bench also did well"
Bow Street: T.Spain, A.Evans (D.Gallagher 73), M.Evans, S.Harrison (c), S.Mills (N.Davies 80), H.Griffiths, C.Morgan, M.Loosely, L.Jones, G.Evans (S.Foukles 78), I.Frost
2nd April 2011
Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Llanilar 1 v 0 Bow Street Reserves

Bow Street made the short journey to Llanilar on Saturday in high hope of three points. Ian Evans and Lee Jones returned to the squad after a stint with the first team, however Hugh Griffiths and Phil Evans were unavailable.
Llanilar playing ‘down hill’ first half put the Bow Street defence under heavy pressure with long balls over the top, however Tom Bates and Stephen Harrison held firm. After 35 minutes some great interplay in the middle of the park saw Marc Loosely release his brother Gerwyn through on goal, Loosely rounded the advancing home keeper only for a Llanilar defender to somehow clear off the line. This was the best chance for either side in the first 45 mins and the first half ended stalemate.
With Street having the slope second half it seemed only a matter of time before they scored but Llanilar’s experienced defence more than held their own against a pacey Street front line. Mid way through the second half Street switched to a 4-3-3 formation in a bid to win all three points but after 75 minutes a quick break away from Llanilar saw them score, seemingly against the run of play. Street pressed hard for an equaliser but were unable to snatch an equaliser, although Ian Evans went close with seconds left from a header which went just wide.
Bow Street stalwart Stephen Harrison was disappointed after the game “we came here today looking for all 3 points and on reflection I think we deserved at least a draw out of the game” Harrison added “the pitch wasn’t very good and they certainly played it better than us”.
Bow Street: T.Spain, A.Evans, M.Evans, S.Harrison, T.Bates, M.Loosely, C.Morgan, G.Loosely, L.Jones (S.Mills 80), I.Evans, I.Frost (G.Evans 73) (Unused Sub): N.Smith
12th April 2011

Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Bow Street Reserves 1 v 3 Trawsgoed

Trawsgoed travelled to Cae Piod Tuesday night in high spirits after beating current league high fliers Machynlleth the previous Saturday. Street made several changes to the team that lost to Llanilar - Big Phil Evans and Huw Bates returned to the starting eleven with promising youngsters David Gallagher, Neil Davies and Steffan Foulkes making their full debuts from the U17s squad. Marc Loosely, Clive Morgan and Ian Frost stepping down to the bench.

The first half started very even with both sides unable to make any clear cut chances. Both defences stood firm with Gallagher and Davies in particular making some telling interceptions. However, with just two minutes of the first half remaining home captain Tom Bates brought down former Street front runner Gruff Jones for a blatant penalty which was duly converted passed Toby Spain in the home goal.
The first 10 minutes of the second half was the killer blow to Street with Trawsgoed scoring two goals in quick succession which more or less secured the 3 points for the visitors. However, to be fair to the home side, they kept pressing forward in search of a way back into the game with Davies and fellow U17 member Anthony Evans making some telling breaks down the flanks which at times left Gallagher a lone defender, a task he was more than capable of coping with. With 75 minutes on the clock, Street finally made a breakthrough when a Phil Evans header rebounded off the bar and fell to the feet of sub Marc Loosely who scored from close range. Street pressed hard for a second but with Huw Bonner in outstanding form they were unable to penetrate further.
Despite a defeat Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin was more than pleased with the evenings work "today was an ideal opportunity to reward the 'youngsters' for their hard work in training" Simkin added "to me the result was irrelevant but the performances of Anthony, Dave, Neil and Steffan were certainly positives myself and Barrie could take from the game and into the run-in to the season".
Bow Street: T.Spain, A.Evans, D.Gallagher, H.Bates (C.Morgan 60), T.Bates, S.Harrison, N.Davies, G.Hughes (M.Loosley 60), S.Foulkes (I.Frost 70), P.Evans, L.Jones
April 16th 2011
Cambrian Tyres League Division 1

Padarn United 1 v 3 Bow Street Reserves

After two defeats on the bounce Bow Street Reserves met Padarn Utd at Llety Gwyn Fields hoping for a welcome three points. Gwidion Owen replaced Toby Spain in goal, Nicky Smith, Hugh Griffiths and James Scarrott also returned to the starting eleven as did Marc Loosely and Clive Morgan after being rested against Trawsgoed in the week.

Both sides started brightly in what was obviously going to be a very open game with both sides going for the win. With both sides missing some early half chances Padarn took the lead on 28 minutes, this seemed to spur Street into action and on 35 minutes winger Lee Jones broke the offside trap and found fellow winger Nicky Smith in the box who coolly played the ball to Marc Loosely who crashed the ball passed the home keeper to equalise.
After some stern words from the Street management at half time the Magpies started to get some joy as they finally began to stamp their authority in midfield and on the game as a whole and it was no surprise when some fine play on the right from Loosely resulted in the same player finding the far top corner with what appeared to be a cross however the player insisting it was a shot. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home side and Street began to control the game and on 80 minutes Nicky Smith nodded home at the far post to secure a much needed victory for the visitors.
After the game manager Barrie Jones was delighted to of completed the double over his brother John “after a couple of disappointing results lately it was important we got back on track today” Jones was also very pleased with the performance of 16 year old Neil Davies “Neil was superb today, he is definitely one for the future”.

Bow Street: G.Owen, N.Davies (S.Mills 75), J.Scarrott, I.Frost (H.Bates 70), T.Bates, H.Griffiths, C.Morgan, L.Jones, M.Loosely, P.Evans (A.Evans 80), N.Smith.

May 7th 2011

Consolation Cup Semi Final

Bow Street Reserves 1 v 1 Borth United

Bow Street Reserves and Borth met in the Semi-Final of the Consolation Cup on Saturday for what turned out to be an exciting game for the large crowd that had gathered at Cae Piod.

Bow Street started the game brightly and immediately put the visitors under pressure and on 6 minutes a Gerwyn Evans corner was headed home by Stephen Harrison to give the home side the perfect start. An immediate change in tactics from Borth began to see them coming more into the game and they began to put the home defence under considerable pressure, however with Toby Spain marshalling his defence well it seemed Street would cope but a defensive error and some good play down the right from Borth resulted in Shaun Tooley finishing at the far post for the equaliser on 20 minutes. The remainder of the first half saw both sides push for a second but both sides seemed to be cancelling each other out all over the field and the first half ended one a piece.

The second half was much the same as the first with both sides trying their best to avoid extra time. Huw Jones fired over for the visitors with Gerwyn Loosely also going close for the home side but with the clock ticking and neither side wanting to lose the game extra time was inevitable. With both sides having tough matches the Wednesday before it was a real battle in the warm temperatures but credit to both sides for giving it a real go but neither side were able to make any clear cut chances and the game headed to the dreaded penalty shoot out. Hugh Griffiths could of won it for Street but his, the fifth penalty was saved by the Borth keeper. In sudden death Borth missed and Street Captain Tom Bates made no mistake to book their place in the Final against Padarn United.

Bow Street Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin was delighted to be in the final “all credit to Borth, they gave us a real tough game today but the players did great, Toby Spain saving two penalties and scoring one must be a first for a keeper but I thought Stephen Harrison, Hugh Griffiths and 16 year old Neil Davies were outstanding” Simkin added “we now have a tough final against Padarn in what should be a great night for the Jones family with the two brothers (John and Barrie) meeting as rival managers in a cup final”

Bow Street: T.Spain, N.Davies, I.Frost, S.Harrison, T.Bates, H.Griffiths, C.Morgan, G.Loosely, M.Loosely, G.Evans (A.Evans 108), L.Jones. Subs not used: D.Gallagher & S.Foulkes.

May 13th 2011

Consolation Cup Final

Bow Street Reserves 4 v 1 Padarn United

Bow Street Reserves and Padarn United met on Friday night in the Final of the Consolation at a wind swept Penrhyncoch. With Street having completed the double over Padarn in the league last month they were to take nothing for granted with Padarn at the moment being the form side in the District League.

Street started the game well and never allowed Padarn any time on the ball which allowed them to press Padarn high up the pitch. Street created the first chance of the match when a battling run down the right from James Scarrott resulted in the ball breaking to veteran striker Gerwyn Evans however he shot wide after cutting in from the right of the penalty area. Minutes later Evans found himself through on goal but instead of putting his boot through it and hitting the target he tried to beat Jamie Worrall at his near post only to see ball flash wide. On 20 minutes Street finally made the breakthrough their early play had deserved, Lee Jones winning the ball off the Padarn right back from what seemed to be an acute angle he somehow found the back of the net much to the relief of the Street management and support. Moments after this goal a great through ball from Stephen Harrison found fellow midfielder Ian Frost who was through one on one with Worrall, he coolly rounded Worrall and with the goal wide open he somehow missed when it seemed easier to score. Street went into the half time interval a goal up.

The second half started much the same as the first with Street putting the Padarn four under considerable pressure and it was no surprise when Evans finally found the net on 53 minutes to give Street a two goal cushion. Minutes later it was 3-0, Gerwyn Loosely broke down the right to cross and a good challenge in the box from 16 year old Neil Davies saw the ball break to Jones who clinically finished from 10 yards for his second goal of the game. The large crowd then witnessed a great piece of sportsmanship when Loosely was felled in the box, the ref and linesman giving a penalty only for Loosely to inform the ref he wasn’t touched and the ref reversing his decision. Padarn then made a couple of changes and with a nothing to lose attitude they began to press Street for the first time in the match and on 69 minutes Harrison was adjudged to of handled in the box, former Street player Nicky Keeler made no mistake from the spot. For the next 15 minutes Padarn put the Street defence under considerable pressure, Jason Davies firing wide and Street keeper Toby Spain making one outstanding save. With only minutes to go a counter attack from Street saw Loosely squaring to Evans who made no mistake for his second of the match.

Bow Street Manager Barrie Jones was delighted with his sides performance “we could of put the game to bed in the first half and to go in only one goal was a little worrying, however the boys came out second half determined to win and they did just that”. Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin added “its been a tough season for us in the league but to end the season with some silverware is what these players deserve”.

Bow Street: T.Spain, N.Davies (A.Evans 88), I.Frost, S.Harrison, T.Bates, H.Griffiths, C.Morgan, G.Loosely, J.Scarrott, G.Evans (D.Gallagher 90), L.Jones. Sub not used M.Loosely