Reserve Team Match Reports 2009/10

Bow Street Res 5 – 1 Borth (26/9/2009)

A large crowd gathered at Cae Piod last Saturday to see our Reserves comfortably beat local rivals, Borth 5-1 in the first round of Cwpan Ceredigion. The gap between first and second divisions of the Cambrian Tyres league become apparent as the cup tie wore on. 

Bow Street squandered a hatful of chances during a first half which yielded just one goal. Nicky Keeler finished off an excellent passing movement for Allan Evans’ side. Gerwyn Evans in goal for Bow Street was rarely troubled. After the interval Bow Street clinched the tie with goals from Ian Evans, Gareth Hughes and Keeler again. Fergus Morris replied with a free kick for the visitors, before veteran substitute, Griff ‘Bach’ Jones rounded off the scoring with an opportunist effort. 

The game was excellently refereed by Elin Huxtable, and all present will testify that this was an exciting occasion, despite the scoreline. 

Allan Evans, Bow Street Manager stated, ‘It could have been a tricky afternoon for us, but I have to compliment the boys for the clinical second half performance. It is was great to welcome Borth to Cae Piod once again, and we wish them all the best for the rest of the season.’ 

G Evans, M Evans, P Benjamin, S Davies, G Hughes, M Loosley, S Harrison, N Keeler, D Lewis, G Loosley, I Evans. Subs – D Whiteway, L Jones and G Jones.

Machynlleth 0 - 2 Bow Street Res - 24/10/2009

Former local rugby star, Gruff Jones was the hero for Bow Street in this second round Cwpan Ceredigion tie, as they deservedly accounted for Machynlleth in difficult conditions. 

Allan Evans’ team revisited Mach only three weeks after being defeated 5-3 in a hard fought league match, and won comfortably. Two goals by Jones, one at the beginning of each half clinched the victory, and his industrious performance caught the eye for the visitors.

The first half was evenly contested, but following the second goal ten minutes after the interval, the contest was effectively over, and it was Bow Street who could have scored further goals. Dylan Lewis also missed a 70th minute penalty.

Manager Evans was delighted, ‘ We learnt some harsh lessons here three weeks ago, and myself, Mark Evans and Ian Frost as a management team, were determined to learn from that, and put a structure in place, which we were convinced would earn us the victory’

Goal scoring hero, Jones was delighted with the first full game that he has completed since signing for Bow Street, ‘the two goals were just the icing on the cake for me personally, but I was just delighted to be part of an efficient and effective team performance.’

A Evans, M Douglas-Jones, S Davies, J Scarrott, H Griffiths, G Hughes, N Keeler, I Evans, M Evans, G Davies & G Jones. Subs. – M Loosley, L Jones and D Lewis.

Padarn Utd 2 - 3 Bow Street Reserves - 06/2/2010

Bow Street Reserves marched up to fourth place in Division One of the Cambrian Tyres League following a hard earned victory away at Padarn United. They coasted into a 2 nil lead at half time with a commanding performance which resulted in goals for Ian Evans as well as an own goal. 

However the second half was different as Padarn fought back to equalise. It took a typical Gerwyn Loosley finish to nick the points with two minutes to go. 

Manager Allan Evans was a relieved man, ‘At half time, we were home and dry, but again we put ourselves in trouble with losses of concentration. Gerwyn Loosley’s finish was top class. Credit must go to stand in keeper Danny Whiteway who pulled off two good saves in the second half, but we really ought to have been out of sight by half time,’ 

Team – D Whiteway, Mark Evans, Steff Davies, Dean Davies, H Griffiths, D Lewis, L Jones, Gerwyn Loosley, Gwyn Jones, Ian Evans, Gruff Jones. Sub Mark Loosley.

Bow Street Reserves 4 - 1 Llanilar (27/2/2010)

Bow Street Reserves beat Llanilar 4-1 in the last 16 of the Cwpan Ceredigion which gave new manager Barrie Jones a fine start. The scorers were Mark Evans, Marc Loosley, Gerwyn Evans and Gerwyn Loosley. There was a late consolation goal for Llanilar.

But for the heroics of ex Bow Street favourite, Nathan Bennett in goal, the margin would have been much greater. Barrie Jones delighted with performance, 'After the upheavel of the week, it was great to get a game played, and I could not have asked for more from the boys today.This is a competition that we aim to make a big effort in, and I asked for a special effort today for the former manager, Allan Evans, who has done stertling work in the last two years building the squad up.'

'My man of the match was Ian Evans, who stettled into a new position, centre back, very confidently.'

Bow Street Reserves now have a home quarter final in this competition against Padarn.

Team: A Evans, M Evans, I Evans, J Scarrott, H Griffiths, M Loosley, D Whiteway, D Davies, S Harrison, G Evans, L Jones. Subs: I Frost, G Loosley

Bow Street Res 4 - 2 Aberystwyth University Res (6/03/2010)

On Saturday Bow Street Reserves were hoping to take their cup form into the league as they met UWA Reserves in an entertaining encounter with both teams level on points but with the UWA having 2 games in hand.
Bow Street started the first half with great purpose and determination, with the UWA looking very dangerous on the break. Gerwyn Evans shot wide when put through on goal and Mark Loosely struck from 18 yards which was saved well by the UWA goalkeeper. With 30 mins on the clock Bow Street finally made the break through, a good break down the right hand side resulting in a looping cross and Danny Whiteway heading home on the back post for his first goal of the season.
The second half kicked off with the UWA quickly coming out of the traps. For the first time in the game the Bow Street back four were put under considerable pressure and it was no surprise when after 50mins they equalized after some slack marking. This seemed to spur the UWA on and clearly fired up, a bad sliding tackle from the UWA No.2 on Hugh Griffiths resulting in a straight red card. Down to 10 men UWA still kept coming forward and some slack midfield play from Bow Street allowed a UWA striker a clean run on goal with James Scarrott making a last ditch attempt to clear inside the box the UWA player went down and a penalty awarded, UWA converted to give themselves a 2-1 lead. After this UWA seemed happy to sit back on what they had and this allowed Stephen Harrison to stamp his authority in the middle of the park and with the introduction of Gerwyn Loosley and Dylan Lewis from the bench the UWA couldn't cope with the Bow St pace up front or on the flanks, with 15 mins remaining Bow Street equalized through Harrison, firing home from 10 yards after UWA failed to clear their lines from a corner, then 3 mins later some good pressure from Gerwyn Loosely on the a UWA defender as he tried shielding the ball out for a goal kick resulting in Loosely being brought down in the box and ref having no option but to point to the spot, Dylan Lewis scoring the resulting penalty. Then with just 8 mins remaining Bow Street scored a 4th and final goal, when Ian Evans was put through on goal and he finished clinically to make the final score Bow Street 4 UWA 2.
New manager Barrie Jones was obviously delighted with the final score "I am over the moon with the victory today, to go 2-1 down after a such a fine first half performance was disappointing but the lads showed great determination to get themselves back into the game and then go on to win, the introduction of Gerwyn Loosely and Dylan Lewis was a major turning point but today I thought Stephen Harrison was outstanding and in my opinion, Man of the Match".

Bow Street Res 3 - 2 Padarn United 27/03/2010 Cwpan Ceredigion

A large crowd turned out at Cae Piod on Saturday for the much anticipated clash between Bow Street Reserves and Padarn United in the Quarter Final of the Cwpan Ceredigion, which also saw brothers Barrie Jones and John Jones clash as rival managers. 

A lacklustre first half from Bow Street saw Padarn United go into the interval one goal up. 

At half time Bow Street brought on Gerwyn Evans and he made an immediate impact on the game, forcing Padarn Goalkeeper Jamie Worrall into some fine saves. Bow Street got a deserved equaliser when some good play from the tireless Mark Douglas-Jones put Evans through on goal who cooly slotted past the advancing Worrall. Both teams had chances to win, no more so than Padarn when Lee Jones missed a penalty. 

With the scores level after 90 minutes the game went into extra time where veteran defender Hugh Griffiths scored direct from a corner and Evans got his second of the game, again after some fine work from Douglas-Jones to secure victory, Padarn got a second goal late on but the game finished Bow Street 3 Padarn United 2. 

Bow Street assistant manager Andrew Simkin was delighted with the result "after a very disappointing first half performance I am delighted to be meeting Cardigan in the semi final. Today I thought James Scarrott, Ian Evans and Mark Douglas Jones were outstanding but the two veterans Gerwyn Evans and Hugh Griffiths certainly turned back the clock and were both instrumental in securing our semi final berth". 

Bow Street, having won this competition in 2006, now face Cardigan in the semi final of this prestigious competition.

Bow Street Res 3 - 1 Llanilar 5/5/2010

Bow Street were hoping to win their last home game of the season Wednesday night in a game which saw first team manager Huw 'Benny Hill' Bates make his first start in a black and white shirt for the first time in over 3 years.

Bow Street started the game the much the better side and soon had Llanilar on the back foot with a series of corners from which they were unable to convert, however the break through came with 15 mins on the clock when Gareth Hughes slotted past the advancing Nathan Bennett after some good work from Mark Evans. Bow Street began to dominate the match with Peter James marshalling Steffan Davies and Steve Evans superbly and Lee Jones making some good breaks down the left, however Bow Street were unable to break down the Llanilar defence again and the first half ended the 1-0.

The second half started off much the same as the first and with 60 mins on the clock Bow Street killed off Llanilar with a second goal, a fine through ball from Huw Bates put Dean Evans through on goal and he cooly chipped Bennett from 20 yards to put Bow Street 2-0 up. Huw Bates was clearly enjoying his cameo and soon put Hughes through again who powerfully shot past Bennett. Llanilar scored a late consolation and the game finished 3-1.

Barrie Jones was clearly pleased with the performance "I am obviously delighted to win our last home game of the season, I thought Huw Bates was superb today and he has certainly given me something to think about for next season".