1st Team Match Reports 2011/12

Welsh Cup Qualifying Round 1 - Northern Section

Bow Street FC 1 v 9 Mold Alexandra FC

Bow Street’s Welsh Cup campaign ended at the first hurdle on Saturday as they were comprehensively walloped 9-1 at Cae Piod by an impressive Mold side whose quality clearly belies their position in the third tier of Welsh football.
Despite missing several key players, Bow Street welcomed back former player Michael Gornall into the starting line up after a deadline day transfer from Penrhyncoch and in the opening exchanges he caused the Mold left back all sorts of problems as Street looked to capitalise on their home advantage. However, after ten minutes Street fell behind through a soft goal after they failed to clear their lines and with wave after wave of Mold attacks it was clearly going to be a long afternoon for the Black and Whites. Nevertheless Street rallied and after skipper Dean Evans was fouled 30 yards out Lee Jones crashed a superb free kick onto the underside of the bar which bounced on the line before Garmon Hafal’s header was saved by the Mold keeper. Thirty seconds later Mold doubled their lead through a well worked goal but again Street fought back hard to get themselves into the game when Gornall’s ferocious drive was brilliantly saved by the Mold keeper. However, for the rest of the first half it was one way traffic and Mold’s superior fitness and pace reaped havoc in midfield and on the flanks and after a horrible twenty minute spell Street found themselves 7-0 down at the break.
Street changed formation at half time and had pulled a goal back within a minute when Hafal converted a Jones corner but although Evans rattled a 40 hard drive against the bar and a much improved second half Street still conceded a further two goals late on to rub salt in the already gaping Bow Street wounds.
Manager Huw Bates said after the game: “There isn’t a lot I can say after losing 9-1 and it certainly wasn’t the “welcome back to management” present I was expecting but in all honesty Mold were better than us in all departments so I can’t complain about the result in any way, even if the scoreline was a rather harsh return for the lads’ efforts.”. Bates added: “If I can take any positives out of the game it would be the performance of Mikey Gornall who did not stop running for 90 minutes and showed the rest of the squad the level of fitness and condition that they should be looking to achieve. We also witnessed a very promising 40 minute cameo from young Hywel Evans who demonstrated what a prospect he is at this level and beyond and finally, historically Bow Street have always bounced back well following heavy defeats which bodes well for our game against Dolgellau in the league on Wednesday in what is, after all, our number one priority this season.”. Bates was also keen to mention the assistance he had received from Penrhyncoch FC in facilitating the last minute signing of Mikey Gornall: “I’ve built up some great football relationships over my years in management but none better than the one I have with Bones and Gari Lewis at Penrhyncoch and I am extremely grateful for their cooperation on Friday and no doubt the favour will be returned at some point during the season.”
Bow Street: D. Gregory, T. Bates ( S. Harrison 70), D. Davies (54), C. Morgan, G. ap Dafydd, G. Hafal, L. Jones, D. Evans, M. Gornall, P. Evans and N. Smith (P. James 66). Unused sub: Simon Watson-Smith.
Wednesday 17th Aug 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Dolgellau FC 6 v 3 Bow Street FC

Bow Street’s disappointing start to the season continued on Wednesday night as they went down 6-3 away to Dolgellau in their first league game of the season. Street will be encouraged by some of their attacking football but seriously worried by some of the schoolboy defending that saw them concede their fifteenth goal in two games.
Street had the better of the opening 15 minutes and came close to breaking the deadlock when Dean Evans forced the Dol keeper into a fingertip save with a 20 yard drive. However, shortly afterwards Evans did give Street the lead when he converted a penalty at the second attempt after Lee Jones was felled in the box. Street pushed for a second but instead it was Dolgellau who scored next, also from the penalty spot, after Phil Evans was adjudged to have committed a foul in the box. Just before half time a Street short corner routine went disastrously wrong and Dolgellau scored on the break to give them a half time lead.
Street introduced Clive Morgan at half time and changed formation and the tactics appeared to have worked when Rhys Llwyd equalised with an overhead kick shortly after the restart but another penalty after a Mikey Gornall foul soon restored Dolgellau’s lead. Street equalised again when Jones latched onto Owain James’ throughball but the move of the game saw Dolgellau take the lead once more with a bullet header after a break down the left. Then came the game’s main turning point. Jones picked up the ball on the edge of the box and rifled a shot towards the top corner but the ball came crashing off the bar and into the feet of the Dolgellau midfield who for the umpteenth time in the match fed the three man strike force of Dolgellau who made the scoreline 5-3. As Bow Street desperately tried to get back into the game Dol scored another goal on the break to produce a flattering scoreline but no-one could begrudge them a hard fought victory.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly disappointed with his side’s performance: “On the plus side we played some good attacking football and on a different day we could easily have got at least a point out of the game. For the second game running we’ve conceded a crucial goal 30 seconds after Lee Jones has hit the bar so on the attacking side of things I’m reasonably optimistic. However, some of our defending today was nothing short of catastrophic and we looked like conceding every time they broke forward. A lot of it is to do with fitness and luckily for us we have ten days between now and our next game to work on that and I have no doubt that we will be a lot tighter at the back by the time we play Tywyn (in front of 500 groundhoppers!) on the 27th”.
Bow Street: D. Gregory, M. Gornall, D. Davies (C. Morgan 46), G. ap Dafydd (H. Evans 78), O. James, G. Hafal, D. Evans, L. Jones, Rh. Llwyd, P. Evans (I. Evans 67), N. Smith. Unused subs: T. Spain and J. Hartnell.
Saturday 27th Aug 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 1 v 2 Tywyn Bryncrug FC

A last minute breakaway goal proved to be Bow Street’s undoing on Saturday as they went down to their third consecutive defeat against fierce rivals Tywyn Bryncrug in front of 300 “groundhoppers” at Cae Piod.
Street gave first starts of the season to veteran Peter James and 16 year old Hywel Evans and also welcomed back former player Stefano Antoniazzi into a new look defence which also included Neil Evans and Nicky Smith. Tywyn had the better of the fist 15 minutes and Jono Hartnell had to be at his best to keep out a rising shot from Stephen Washbrook as Tywyn looked to break the deadlock. The remainder of the half was evenly balanced but on 40 minutes another Washbrook effort took a crucial bounce in front of Hartnell and nestled into the back of the net.
Street shuffled their pack at half time and dominated the second half from start to finish and should have gone ahead when Dean Evans shot wide when through on goal and then hit the post after excellent work from Neil Evans. Street were also frustrated when referee Mike Davies failed to send off Washbrook for a trip on Dean Evans seconds after being given his final warning by the referee but Street’s deserved equaliser finally came with just over five minutes left on the clock when substitute Clive Morgan collected the ball a full thirty yards from goal and unleashed a low drive past the Tywyn goalkeeper. At this stage Street were favourites to go on and clinch the three points but disaster struck a minute later when Hartnell raced off his line to intercept a long throughball only to take out covering defender Antoniazzi leaving the Tywyn striker with a simple tap in. Street searched hard for another equaliser but ended up empty handed yet again.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly frustrated with the manner of his side’s defeat: “Our preparation for today’s game could not have been any better and the hard work that we as a squad are putting in is definitely starting to show in terms of fitness and the cohesion of the starting line up. However, Tywyn are a very good side and defended superbly in the second half and although I think they would accept that we deserved a point out of the game, the bottom line is that they didn’t make any fatal errors whereas we made two which ultimately cost us the game.”. Bates was keen to stress however that it is far from all doom and gloom at Cae Piod: “I thought the back three were absolutely superb today and once we are at full strength, if we play with the same attitude as we did today then we will be more than a match for most sides at this level. This Saturday we welcome back last season’s player of the year Owain James and the tenacity of Gwion ap Dafydd which will give us a lot more balance in the starting line up and will hopefully enable us to break our duck against Dolgellau on Saturday”
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Evans (D. Davies 88), M. Gornall, P. James (C. Morgan 72), S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, D. Evans, H. Evans (T. Bates 58), Rh. Llwyd, L. Jones, N. Smith. Unused subs: T. Spain and N. Davies.
Saturday 3rd Sep 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 2 v 1 Dolgellau FC

Bow Street got quick revenge on Dolgellau Saturday with a much needed victory after losing their opening two league matches. Street welcomed back vice captain Owain James, however darren Middleton, Gwyn Jones, Ian Evand and Gwion Ap Dafydd were still absent for various reasons.
Street started the match brightly and could have been three up or four up inside the opening half an hour only for some last ditch defending and some fine saves from the visiting keeper keeping the scores level, however with 36 minutes on the clock some fine interplay in midfield between Peter James and Garmon Hafal released livewire Rhys Llwyd in on goal and he finished clinically to give Street a much deserved lead at half time.
Dolgellau started the second half with more purpose and a more direct form of football and this paid dividends on 56 minutes when a defensive error from Neil Evans allowed Mark Bridge a shot at goal which gave Toby Spain no chance. Shortly afterwards some fine chasing down by Hafal saw the same player with the ball on the bye line, cutting in from the flank he was brought down in the box for a penalty to the home side. Rhys Llwyd saw his spot kick saved but was on hand to place the rebound into the far corner to give Street a much deserved lead for the second time in the match. The final half an hour saw Street create countless chances with Michael Gornall making some telling runs in off the left flank, however they were unable to penetrate further. Dolgellau had a chance right at the death but Bridge saw his shot deflected just wide by defender Evans much to the relief of the home supporters.
Stand in manager for the day Andrew Simkins was delighted with the win "after losing our first two league matches it was important to get our first win of the season, I do feel that if we had gone into this match with a bit more confidence we could of won far more comfortably, but today was all about getting the three points". Simkins added "we now need to build on this victory next weekend in Welshpool which will be a tough game".
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Evans, O. James, P. James, S. Antoniazzi, G.Hafal, D. Evans, M. Gornall, R. Llwyd, L. Jones (H. Evans 83), N. Smith. Subs not used: C. Morgan & N. Davies.
Saturday 10th Sep 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Welshpool FC 0 v 2 Bow Street FC

Bow Street secured a crucial victory on Saturday with a 2-0 victory against struggling Welshpool. Street were missing striker Lee Jones but welcomed back Gwion Ap Dafydd into the heart of midfield as they looked to build upon last week's home victory against Dolgellau.
Street started confidently and kept possession for most of the first twenty minutes and were rewarded when Garmon Hafal outmuscled his marker to slot home from 12 yards. For the next twenty minutes however, although Dave Gregory was hardly troubled in the Street goal and Street grew impatient and time after time lost possession needlessly to the frustration of the Street management.
In the second half Street once again started brightly and good interplay between Mikey Gornall and Dean Evans saw Evans force a fingertip save from the Pool goalkeeper and when Evans also fired a low drive inches pass the post it looked as though Street could run riot. However, after Rhys Llwyd had doubled Street's lead with a sublime chip after a neat passing move involving Peter James and Garmon Hafal, Street once again took their foot off the gas and were it not for a goal-line clearence from James and some good positioning from Gregory Street could easily have found themselves in difficulty during a battling second half display from the former League of Wales side.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly a relieved man at the final whistle, "on a positive note we came here to get a result and keep a clean sheet and so it was very much a job well done on those two fronts. I was a little disappointed how we lost patience and panicked everytime we seemed to get ourselves on top of the game but on the whole I'm pleased with how the day panned out and it's another step towards getting the side to the level of performance that I wasnt to see week in week out". Bates added "I thought the back three were once again excellent and Dave Gregory had by far his best game of the season but for me Owain James added solidity to the side that we missed while he was off gallivanting at the start of the season".
Bow Street: D. Gregory, N. Evans, O. James, P. James (S. Watson-Smith 89), S. Antoniazzi (Clive Morgan 67), G. ap Dafydd, D. Evans (H. Evans 85), M. Gornall, R. Llwyd, G. Hafal, N. Smith. (Unused sub: H. Bates)
Saturday 17th Sep 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Montgomery Town FC 3 v 1 Bow Street FC

Montgomery maintained their charge at the top of the Spar Mid Wales league with a victory against mid table Bow Street on Saturday but it was far from plain sailing for the league leaders as Bow Street produced their best performance of the season and were it not for a poor ten minute spell just after half time would surely have snatched at least a point against the newly promoted side.
Street gave starts to reserve team players Tom Bates and James Scarrott due to the absences of Stefano Antoniazzi and Owain James and Montgomery inevitably came out of the blocks the fastest and put Street under a lot of pressure in the opening exchanges and were unlucky not to take the lead when Elliot Jones rattled the bar with a firm header. Elliot Jones opened the scoring after half an hour when he struck a crisp left foot volley against the post and to Bow Street’s dismay the ball rebounded into the chest of Nicky Smith and into his own net. However, despite Monty’s early dominance Street had the better of the remainder of the first half and a bad tackle on Dean Evans seemed to inspire Street to their best spell of the season and they deservedly equalised when Rhys Llwyd found Lee Jones at the back post who squared the ball to Garmon Hafal who finished from close range. Street continued to press and with Evans on top form could have taken an interval lead was it not for a polished display from Steve Goodwin in the Mongomery goal.
Disaster struck for Street at the start of the second half when Elliot Jones put them back in the lead within 30 seconds of the re-start and when he scored his second 10 minutes later it looked like Street could capitulate. However, they rallied once again and Goodwin and some last gasp defending prevented Street getting back into the game despite excellent chances for Evans and 16 year old substitute Hywel Evans who produced a glittering cameo to cap a very encouraging performance from the Street, even if the end result was ultimately disappointing.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: “I think it shows how much we have improved in recent weeks when we are absolutely gutted not to get something out of an away fixture against a semi-professional side who are chasing promotion.”. Bates added: “I thought the two lads who came in from the reserves were outstanding, Dean Evans is starting to get back to his best and our general performance was easily the best of the season so far. However, the highlight of the day for me was the performance of Hywel Evans when he came on and if he keeps performing like that it is only a matter of time before he nails down a starting place in the team.”.
Bow Street: D. Gregory, N. Evans, M. Gornall, G. ap Dafydd, J. Scarrott (P. James 78), T. Bates (H. Evans 67), D. Evans, Rh. Llwyd, G. Hafal, L. Jones (I. Evans 76), N. Smith.
Wednesday 21st Sep 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Rhayader FC 3 v 4 Bow Street FC

Bow Street produced the biggest shock of the season so far as they defeated title chasing Rhayader 4-3 on their own patch on Wednesday night. Street recalled keeper Jonathan Hartnell and gave a second start of the season to 16 year old Hywel Evans as they attempted to bounce back from Saturday’s narrow defeat at league leaders Montgomery and they got off to the pergfect start when Dean Evans laid the ball into path of Lee Jones who curled a beautiful shot into the top corner from 25 yards. However, as is often the case with Bow Street they are most vulnerable after they have scored and five minutes the scores were level when Rhayader scored from close range after some sloppy Street defending. Rhayader had the better of the remainder of the first half and deservedly took the lead when an Owain James foul gifted Rhayader a penalty which was duly converted to give them a 2-1 half time lead.
Street changed formation at half time which opened up the game and it was immediately clear that the crowd were going to be treated to several more goals and so it proved to be the case when Evans was felled in the box on the hour mark and scored from the resulting penalty kick. Five minutes later Rhayader hit the self destruct button when their number 6 was sent off for kicking Gwion ap Dafydd on the ground but the dismissal seemed to galvanise Rhayader who took the lead from a brilliant header from a Rhys Jones free kick. With ten minutes remaining Street introduced Stephen Harrison in an attempt to steal a point and his presence immediately paid dividends as Evans equalised with a far post header from a disputed free kick. For the last few minutes it was end to end stuff and Rhayader could have nicked it at the death were it not for some last ditch defending from Hartnell and his battle-weary defence. However, not satisfied with a point, Hartnell dribbled the ball out of his area and as the waves parted in front of him took the ball to almost the half way line. One superb clearance and two passes later Jones had rolled the ball into the back of the net to give Street a historic victory against a team that was playing Cymru Alliance football last season.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly ecstatic with the result: “Dylan (McPhee) has had the better of me on this ground over the years and so it’s nice to be able to shake his hand at the end of the game with a smile on my face for a change! We rode our luck in the second half but it’s a result that I feel we deserve for the hard work that we as a squad have put in since Andrew and I took charge unexpectedly a couple of months ago.”. Bates added: “I was far from happy at half time as our downfall had been stupid mistakes and completely ignoring the game plan we had discussed before the game. Andrew and I knew it was a risky move changing formation in the second half as it meant that the game was going to open up significantly but it was a risk worth taking as we had nothing to lose and it’s just nice that it paid off.”. Bates gave special mention to some of his players: “Steve (Harrison) has been a bit of a lucky mascot for me over the years so I had no hesitation in throwing him on for the last ten although I couldn’t have dreamed that we’d get all three points at that stage. Hywel Evans produced a very mature performance in the middle of the park and I’m pleased for Jono Hartnell who, after a tough time against Tywyn, took the game by the scruff of the neck and helped us pinch a couple of bonus points. However, my man of the match tonight has to be Lee Jones and the most pleasing thing for me is that I don’t think we have yet seen half of what he is capable of.”.
Assistant manager Andrew Simkin added: “Tonight was a monumental victory but it will mean absolutely nothing if we let ourselves down against Dyffryn Banw on Saturday and we will start planning for that game first thing tomorrow morning.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Davies, M. Gornall, G. ap Dafydd, J. Scarrott, O. James, H. Evans (S. Harrison 80), Rh. Llwyd (I. Evans 67), D. Evans, L. Jones and N. Smith. (Unused sub: L. Jones)
Saturday 24th Sep 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 3 v 3 Dyffryn Banw FC

Bow Street were forced to settle with a share of the spoils in their game against Dyffryn Banw on Saturday after two late goals from Banw snatched them a point at Cae Piod. Street welcomed back Garmon Hafal and Peter James into the starting line up and also gave a first team debut to Neil Davies at right back as they looked to build on their victory in Rhayader in midweek.
Street got off to the perfect start when Dean Evans was felled in the box after only five minutes and he confidently slotted away the resulting penalty. Street had the chance to double their lead 5 minutes later when James dropped his shoulder and found himself through on goal but he sent his shot agonisingly wide. Despite Street’s early pressure Banw gave as good as they got for the rest of the first half as Street found it hard to string any number of passes together and apart from Nicky Smith, Lee Jones and Evans forcing good saves from the Banw keeper Street only led by the single goal at half time.
In the second half the game got even more scrappy with Banw’s tough tackling and never say die attitude seriously ruffling the Magpies’ feathers. However, Street doubled their lead with the best move of the game on the hour when Jones found Mikey Gornall on the right and his early cross was met brilliantly by Hafal to the delight of the home crowd. The last twenty minutes saw a flurry of goals from set pieces with Banw pulling a goal back from a corner and then James notching a trademark header from a corner at the other end to restore Street’s two goal advantage. Street then hit the self destruct button by giving away a string of free kicks and Banw deservedly got themselves back into the game with a far post header with 5 minutes on the clock remaining. Ian Evans then had two chances to win it for the Street but his first effort crawled agonisingly wide and his second hit the base of the post with the keeper well beaten. Banw completed their comeback in the final minute when yet another stupid free kick was conceded to the delight of the Banw centre half who headed home seal a hard-earned point.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly disappointed with the manner of the draw: “It was absolutely criminal to drop two points today after being 2-0 and 3-1 up but it would be unfair to take anything away from Banw who thoroughly deserved something for the game. I would say that we were the better side and created far more chances but their attitude was absolutely superb and they kept battling until the last minute whereas we weren’t quite up for the fight, especially in the last ten minutes.”. Bates added: “If someone had said that we would have taken 4 points out of the last two games I would have snapped their hands off so I don’t intend to get too depressed about this result as hopefully we can bounce back at home against Welshpool next week but we certainly all need to learn from today. On a much more positive note I thought the best player on the pitch was Neil Davies on his first team debut and he now has every chance of carving out a first team career this season.”
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Davies, M. Gornall, P. James (D. Davies 73), O. James, J. Scarrott, G. Hafal, D. Evans (H. Evans 89), N. Davies, L. Jones (I. Evans 77) and N. Smith (Unused sub: S. Antoniazzi)
Saturday 1st Oct 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 4 v 2 Welshpool Town FC

Bow Street moved up to fourth in the league on Saturday after completing the double over Welshpool at Cae Piod on Saturday. With Huw Bates away in New York assistant manager Andrew Simkin welcomed back Stefano Antoniazzi and Rhys Llwyd to the squad and also called up Mathew Pemberthy from the reserves after some good performances in the district league.
Street started the game brightly and created some good openings however Welshpool defended well and on 14 minutes caught the Street defence on the break and totally against the run of play took the lead, however Street did no panic and kept playing the kind of football that had served them so well in recent weeks. On 23 minutes Street were awarded a free kick some 25 yards from goal, skipper Dean Evans took it and from that distance nobody was expecting him to go for goal, however he did and via a slight deflection off the Welshpool wall Street equalized. Ten minutes later the home side took the lead, some good play down the left by Neil Evans and Nicky Smith found Garmon Hafal in a good position and his dangerous cross was put into his own net by a Welshpool defender to give Street a deserved lead at the break.
The second half started off much the same, and within 20 seconds of the restart Mikey Gornall found himself in acres of space but was unable to finish from a tight angle. Street then scored a third goal mid way through the second half with Smith stabbing home from close range after some play from Gornall. With the game seemingly won Street took their foot off the peddle only for Welshpool to score from a corner, this was the wake up call Street needed and with the previous weeks result firmly in their minds it was an anxious finale to the match, but with 8 minutes remaining Hafal released Rhys Llwyd who rounded the keeper and from an acute angle squared the ball for debutant Mathew Pemberthy to tap home at the far post to secure the three points.
Street Assistant Manager and manager for the day Andrew Simkin was delighted with the victory “Welshpool game here today with a game plan I think to nick a draw, but to be fair to the boys we kept our patience and got what we deserved in the end” Simkin added “we missed several good opportunities to put the game to bed and at 3-2 I was certainly thinking about the previous weeks game where we let a 2 goal lead slip, but Matthew’s goal soon calmed the nerves and I was delighted for him, scoring on his senior debut”.
Bow Street: T.Spain, N.Evans, N.Davies (R.Llwyd 58), S.Antoniazzi, O.James, H.Evans (M.Pemberthy 73), D.Evans, M.Gornall, G.Hafal (J.Scarrott 82), L.Jones, N.Smith. Subs Not used: P.James & I.Evans.
Saturday 8th Oct 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Waterloo Rovers FC 2 v 0 Bow Street FC

Saturday 15th Oct 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Llansantffraid FC 4 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street were missing influential skipper Dean Evans after a freak accident in training Thursday night and also the injured Stefano Antoniazzi as they looked to bounce back from their previous weeks disapointing defeat at Waterloo when they travelled to Llansantffraid Saturday.
After gifting Waterloo a two goal lead the previous week it was important Street started well but after 2 minutes found themselves a goal down after route one football from the home side was poorly defended by the visiting defence. Llansantffraid scored another two goalsl in quick succession mid-way through the half with Street unable to clear their lines on both occassions. Mikey Gornall went it alone on 40 mins and his cross was headed home from close range by Neil Evans, giving Street a lifeline, and something to go for in the second half.
Street started the second half better and after missing one or two half chances to get back into the game Llansantffraid scored a fourth to all but seal the three points. The away side continued to find some way back into the game but Llansantffraid held firm to take a well deserved three points.
Assistant Manager Andrew Simkin was disappointed with his sides performance "we had a good chat in the changing rooms before the game about starting well and not gifting sloppy goals, less than two minutes into the game and we find ourselves a goal down - losing two key players late on in the week didnt help matters, Deano will be missing for 3-6 weeks with a broken bone in his hand which is a huge blow but hopefully Stefano will be back sooner rather than later, we also welcome back Darren Middleton to training soon after a lengthy lay off with injury" Simkin added "I have no doubt that we have the ability to bounce back this weekend when we welcome Llansantffraid to Cae Piod, we have beaten one of the top sides in the league in Rhayader so the boys have proved they can do it, we just need a little self belief and stop the sloppy defending which is costing us dearly at the moment".
Bow Street: T.Spain, N.Evans (M.Pemberthy 70), N.Davies (S.Watson-Smith 79), J.Scarrott, O.James, H.Evans (S.Harrison 60), R.Llwyd, M.Gornall, G.Hafal, L.Jones, N.Smith.
Saturday 22nd Oct 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 2 v 1 Llansantffraid FC

Bow Street exacted sweet revenge for last weekend’s defeat to Llansantffraid as they ran out 2-1 winners at Cae Piod. Street recalled Tom Bates and Stefano Antoniazzi and made Nicky Smith captain for the day in a bid to avoid the kind of catastrophic start that has seen them concede 5 early goals in the past two games. Mikey Gornall grabbed the headlines with one goal and one assist but Street were equally thankful for outstanding performances at the other end of the pitch, most notably from Toby Spain and Antoniazzi.
Street started superbly despite playing into a strong wind and blazing sunshine with Neil Evans and Gornall combining well down the right hand side. Street should have taken the lead soon after but Garmon Hafal blazed his shot over the bar from close range and Gornall’s low drive was saved well by the visiting goalkeeper. However, the visitors had the better of the rest of the first half, using the conditions to their advantage and forcing a succession of corners and free kicks from one of which Spain produced what Magpies manager Huw Bates described as “the save of the season so far”.
As Street emerged for the second half they must have been disappointed to note that the wind had dropped and the sun had hidden behind a cloud but they deservedly took the lead on the hour mark when a brilliant Gornall cross was met equally superbly by Lee Jones who finished the move off with a sweet volley. However, Street are never more vulnerable than after they have just scored and this proved to be the case again when they failed to clear their lines and a deflected cross looped out of Spain’s reach and was headed home at the far post. Fortunately for Street the visitors seemed to suffer from the same affliction and Gornall fully capitalised when he dispossessed the Llansantffraid left back and slotted home to regain the lead for the home team. Once again Street seemed to panic which set up a very nervy last 20 minutes but three substitutions and a heroic performance from Antoniazzi later, Street had closed the game out to seal a crucial three points.
Street manager Bates was clearly proud of his team’s efforts: “We can play a lot better than that and I think the last two games have knocked our confidence a bit but I have to say that the effort and commitment to the cause shown by the lads today was exceptional. “. Bates added: “Today was a perfect example of the value of substitutes as the fresh legs we were able to introduce towards the end really gave us a lift at an important stage of the match and hopefully we can use today’s result as a springboard for our massive cup game against Bont on Saturday.”.
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Evans (G. Loosley 79), N. Davies, M. Gornall, S. Antoniazzi, O. James, G. Hafal, Rh. Llwyd (D. Evans 66), T. Bates (P. James 70), L. Jones and N. Smith. (Unused sub: H. Evans)
Saturday 29th Oct 2011
League Cup - Round 1

Bont FC 3 v 2 Bow Street FC

Bow Street crashed out of the Spar Mid Wales league cup on Saturday as they went down 3-2 in an enthralling cup game in Bont.
Street welcomed back Jono Hartnell and Peter James into the starting line up and had the better of the first five minutes but Dean Evans could only put their best chance of the opening exchanges over the crossbar. Bont more than matched their higher league opponents for the remainder of the first half however and deservedly took a 2-0 lead into the break.
In the second half Street were a different side and it was clear that words had been exchanged at half time but just as they were starting to regain a foothold in the game Neil Evans did the unthinkable and was sent off after a verbal altercation with referee John Davies. Street shuffled their pack and introduced Ian Evans on the left hand side and within twenty minutes they were level thanks to goals from Rhys Llwyd and Garmon Hafal and could have even take the lead but Dean Evans’ header went just over the bar. Unfortunately for Street their comeback was never completed as Ifan Evans produced an excellent finish from the edge of the box to send Bont through to the next round.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game “We were very poor in the first half and I singled a few people out at half time. In fairness I got the reaction I was after, especially from Rhys (Llwyd) and Garmon (Hafal) and I thought Ian (Evans) made a big difference when he came on. However, despite the lads’ best efforts in the second half you can’t compete properly in a local derby like that when you’re down to 10 men for almost half of the game and it proved costly in the end.”.
Bates added: “I’d like to apologise on behalf of the team to all those faithful supporters who travelled up to the game as I really felt that we let them down today but hopefully we can make up for it over the next few weeks.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Evans, N. Davies (I. Evans 58), P. James (J. Scarratt 82), T. Bates, S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, Rh. Llwyd, D. Evans, L. Jones and M. Gornall. Unused sub: A. Evans.
Saturday 5th November 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Dyffryn Banw FC 2 v 3 Bow Street FC

After losing 3-2 to a late goal against Bont a week earlier Bow Street secured a crucial away victory against Dyffryn Banw on Saturday by the same scoreline to see them move back into 4th place in the Spar Mid Wales league.
With several players missing through suspension, injury and various other reasons Street included six regular reserve team players in their 14 man squad and gave a first start of the season to seasoned campaigner Stephen Harrison in midfield. Street were the fastest out of the blocks and took the lead in the opening five minutes through a Dean Evans penalty. Street almost doubled their lead moments later when Harrison headed a Lee Jones corner over the bar at the near post. In their next attack Jones was on the receiving end of a crunching tackle but despite spending the next ten minutes hobbling around the centre circle he brilliantly set up Street’s second as he rode one challenge and then laid a perfect pass into the feet of Garmon Hafal who slotted the ball home for his sixth goal of the season to give the Magpies a healthy interval lead.
In the corresponding home fixture Banw had scored two late goals to secure a 3-3 draw and when they pulled a goal back ten minutes into the second half Street started to panic, especially after Jones was finally forced to leave the field through injury. After a sustained spell of pressure Banw scored the inevitable equaliser and at this stage were the odds on favourites to go on and take the three points. However, rather than capitulate, the defensive trio of Stefano Antoniazzi, Tom Bates and James Scarrot held firm which enabled Street to switch Rhys Llwyd into a more attacking position while young substitute Anthony Evans deputised in Llwyd’s more defensive role. The switch paid dividends with ten minutes left to play when Mikey Gornall dribbled the ball from the edge of his own box deep into Banw territory before playing a perfect throughball to Llwyd who rounded the keeper and fired the ball into the roof of the net to the joy of Street manager Huw Bates and assistant for the day Alan Evans.
Bates said after the game: “On paper we have quite a small first team squad but fortunately we also have great strength in depth and I thought the performances of the so called fringe players were absolutely outstanding today. Tom (Bates) and Stephen (Harrison) in particular played out of their skins but the headlines will deservedly go to Rhys who produced his best performance of the season both defensively and scoring an invaluable goal.”. Bates added: “Rhys had done a sterling job on their best player throughout the game but he clearly fancied making a difference at the other end of the pitch so we swapped him with young Anthony and the rest is history.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, T. Bates, J. Scarrott, S. Harrison, S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, M. Gornall, H. Evans (A. Evans 60), D. Evans, L. Jones (I. Evans 55) and Rh. Llwyd. Unused sub: C. Wilde.
Saturday 19th November 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 1 v 6 Montgomery Town FC

Bow Street suffered their heaviest league defeat of the season on Saturday as they were downed 6-1 at home to high flying Montgomery.
Bow Street recalled Dave Gregory to the side and gave a first start of the season to Ian Evans as they looked to secure a third successive league victory. However, Street's best laid plans were in tatters within 30 seconds of kick off as Montgomery went ahead via a superb strike from the edge of the box. Street responded admirably and were level 15 minutes later when Stefano Antoniazzi found Stephen Harrison at the far post who headed the ball into the path of Lee Jones who found the back of the net with a sweet volley. Two minutes later Monty regained the lead when 4 Street defenders failed to deal with a mazy run which resulted in a tap-in for the visiting striker. Street battled hard for the remainder of the first half and thought that their efforts had been rewarded with a penalty when Evans was downed in the box but their pleas were waved away by referee Mike Davies and so Monty took a slender lead into the break.
Street's habit of conceding just after the restart resurfaced yet again and were 3-1 down less than a minute into the second half. Street tried to retaliate but were caught with a sucker punch and in 10 horrible minutes they conceded a further two goals to make the scoreline 5-1. To their credit Street never gave up and were thwarted late on by two fabulous saves by the Monty goalkeeper and Stefano Antoniazzi will still be wondering how he didn't score with a close range header that he put over the bar. However, Monty sealed a fine performance with a further goal to cap a miserable day for the Magpies who now have two tough away games to Berriew and Builth.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: "Monty could have scored 10 in the second half so I certainly can't complain about the defeat but it just would have been nice to go in at half time on level terms as for me that was a stonewall penalty.". Bates added: "Despite this setback there are still a couple of positives I can take from the game with Ian Evans getting an hour under his belt and Darren Middleton making his first appearance of the season after a long-term injury.".
Bow Street: D. Gregory, T. Bates, J. Scarrott, S. Harrison (D, Middleton 60), S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, M. Gornall, D. Evans, L. Jones (L. Jones 70), I. Evans (H. Evans 68).
Saturday 26th November 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Berriew FC 7 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street went down to their second consecutive hammering on Saturday as they were beaten 7-1 away to Berriew.
Street were missing several first team regulars but cannot have anticipated the havoc that Berriew reaped upon their beleagured defence in the first twenty minutes when Street found themselves 4-0 down thanks to two own goals and some very lacklustre defending.
Street improved significantly in the second half but their task was made even harder when they were hit with a wonder goal just after the break and when keeper Dave Gregory was sent off for deliberate handball. Street pulled a goal back towards the end when Neil Evans forced the Beriew full back into an own goal and Rhys Llwyd and Hywel Evans both came close to reducing the deficit but two further strikes from Berriew following defensive mishaps had already sealed Bow Street’s grisly fate.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly deflated after his side’s performance: “We were missing several players but that doesn’t really excuse some of our defending and general sloppyness. I’m hopeful of making a couple of new signings in the next week or so which will give the squad a much needed boost and hopefully we can bounce back against Builth next week.”. Bates also commented on the news of Gary Speed’s tragic death: “After losing 7-1 I was obviously feeling rather disappointed on Saturday evening but hearing the catastrophic news on Sunday put things firmly back into perspective. Gary was an inspirational figure in Welsh football and the effects of this tragedy will be felt for many years to come but the only people that matter right now are his family and friends and the thoughts and prayers of everyone at Bow Street FC are with them at this unbelievably sad time.”.
Bow Street: D. Gregory, A. Evans (N. Evans 50), N. Davies, J. Scarrott, P. James (Hywel Evans 60), I. Evans, G. Hafal, M. Gornall, L. Jones (L. Jones 71), Rh. Llwyd and N. Smith.
Saturday 3rd December 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Builth Wells FC 4 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street went down to their third successive defeat on Saturday when they were beaten 4-1 in Builth. The scoreline doesn’t tell the full story of the match as Street dominated the second half but the Magpies only have themselves to blame for giving Builth a three goal start with a hattrick of schoolboy errors.
With almost a full squad to choose from Street recalled Stefano Antoniazzi, Tom Bates, Dean Evans and Stephen Harrison to the starting line up and gave a first start of the season to Darren Middleton. However, Street’s best laid plans were dealt a sever blow after only 90 seconds when three failed attempts to clear the ball led to the ball being driven into the net from 25 yards to give Street the worst possible start. Ten minutes later Street again failed to clear their lines and Builth doubled their lead when their midfielder beat six Street defenders to the ball off a corner to fire home past keeper Toby Spain. Things went from bad to worse when an under-hit back-pass from Antoniazzi allowed the Builth striker to score a third and at this stage it looked as though Street could capitulate in the Powys sunshine. The capitulation never arose and Street were the better side for the remainder of the game, pulling a goal back from Dean Evans and creating chances for Harrison, Mikey Gornall and Rhys Llwyd but in the dying moments of the second half Builth secured their victory on the counter attack to seal another baron afternoon for Huw Bates’ side.
Bates said “We’re having a tough time of it at the moment and although today’s performance was a million times better than last weeks’, the boys will have to take this one on the chin as the defending for their first three goals was sub-standard to say the least. It doesn’t get any easier with us playing Rhayader on Saturday but we’ll keep fighting and with us signing Anthony Hartnell in the week and with the announcement that Stefano (Antoniazzi) will be captaining the side for the rest of the season it’s vital that we remain positive.”.
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Evans (N. Davies 68), T. Bates, S. Harrison, S. Antoniazzi, D. Middleton, M. Gornall, Rh. Llwyd, G. Hafal (H. Evans) 55, D. Evans and N. Smith. Unused sub: H Bates.
Saturday 10th December 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 0 v 1 Rhayader FC

Bow Street produced their best performance for several weeks on Saturday but were stunned by a winning goal by league leaders Rhayder two minutes before the end of a cracking game at Cae Piod. Street kept largely the same side that lost to Builth a week earlier with only Ian Evans coming in for the unavailable Nicky Smith.
Street rode their luck for much of the first hour with Rhayader having the best of the chances but the introduction of Lee Jones saw Bow Street up their intensity and Rhayader found themselves on the back foot as Jones and Mikey Gornall reaped havoc on the Rhayader defence.
Jones and Gornall created several decent chances, the best of which fell to Darren Middleton who fired straight at the goalkeeper from close range. To be fair to the Magpies they could have sat back to retain what would have been a very good point but they pressed for a winner and were caught on the break with two minutes to go to the relief and delight of the visitors.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly disappointed with the result but upbeat about his side’s performance: “It’s obviously sickening to concede a goal that late when I don’t think there’s any doubt that we deserved at least a point from the game for our second half performance alone. Having said that, in fairness to Rhayader it’s not the first time they’ve scored a last minute winner against us and we did the same to them earlier in the season but that is football I suppose.”.
Bates added: “I cannot fault the lads’ efforts today especially after losing three on the bounce and some of the performances were excellent: Lee Jones made a massive impact when he came on, Stephen Harrison hasn’t missed a header for two games and Mikey Gornall is starting to find some serious form which bodes well for the next few games and I am confident that by Xmas our league position will be looking a lot healthier.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, T. Bates, N. Evans (J. Scarrott 37), S. Harrison, S. Antoniazzi, D. Middleton, D. Evans (H. Evans 80), M. Gornall, Rh. Llwyd (L. Jones 67), G. Hafal and I. Evans.
Saturday 17th December 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Tywyn Bryncrug FC 0 v 2 Bow Street FC

Bow Street finally broke their losing streak with a gritty 2-0 victory away to local rivals Tywyn on Saturday. Lee Jones was the matchwinner with two excellent finishes but Toby Spain’s best performance of the season at the other end was equally important as he produced a string of second half saves, including a brilliant penalty save, to preserve Street’s clean sheet and to earn them a crucial three points in their bid to start climbing the table.
Bow Street recalled Jones and Nicky Smith to the starting line up and this proved to be a shrewd move by the Magpies as Smith’s experience proved vital in defence and Jones put Street ahead after half an hour when he rounded the keeper after a flick from Dean Evans.
Street’s slender lead was doubled on the hour when Jones volleyed home a Mikey Gornall cross but from there on it was one way traffic as Tywyn used the strong wind to their advantage and peppered Spain’s goal with a string of shots from long range. It looked as though Tywyn would get themselves back into the game when Ben Holt was tripped in the box by Ian Evans but Spain produced a fantastic save low to his left and Street’s relief was evident when Stefano Antoniazzi launched the rebound out of play. Five minutes later Spain produced an even better save when he tipped a fierce drive onto the crossbar and in the final ten minutes Street produced several last ditch tackles, most notably from Jones in the last minute.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly delighted with the manner of the victory: “This is definitely one of the most rewarding wins of my Bow Street career as we have had a tough time of it recently but the lads have stuck together despite getting a lot of flack from certain quarters and some of the performances out there today were absolutely outstanding.”
Bates added: “The contributions of Lee and Toby effectively won us the game but the likes of Stefano and Tom Bates also played out of their skins, especially in the second half and hopefully we can build on today’s victory in the weeks and months ahead.”
Assistant captain Dean Evans added: “Batesy gave us some structural criticism at half time and it seemed to work as the boys gave absolutely everything for the cause to earn us a really important three points.”.
Bow Street: T. Spain, T. Bates, I. Evans, S. Harrison (L. Jones 72), S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal (M. Pemberthy 41), D, Evans, M. Gornall, D. Middleton, L. Jones, N. Smith. Unused subs: N. Davies, H. Evans and H. Bates.
Saturday 24th December 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Carno FC 2 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street’s Christmas got off to the worst possible start when they were defeated 2-1 away to Carno.
Street went behind after 5 minutes when Carno capitalised on a kind ricochet off the near post which was gobbled up by the Carno number 6 but Street had the next four good chances with Mikey Gornall coming close twice and Lee Jones being denied on the goalline with what looked like a certain foul by the stranded goalkeeper.
Street dominated the second half in the wet conditions but were hit with a sucker punch ten minutes from time when Carno scored from a corner. Street pulled a goal back with 2 minutes to go when Lee Jones scored his 8th goal of the season from a wicked Stefano Antoniazzi cross but it was too little too late and Carno hung on for an important victory.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: “With two players pulling out on the morning of the game and a few more having their office parties the night before I was fearing the worst at kick off but at the end of the game I can’t quite believe we didn’t win the game let alone get a point.”. Bates added: “We should have had two penalties in the first half and created some really good chances and so with a bit more luck, confidence and conviction we would have won the game but at least it bodes well for the return fixture on New Year’s eve.”.
Bow Street: D. Evans, T. Bates, N. Davies, G. ap Dafydd, S. Antoniazzi, M. Pemberthy, D. Middleton, M. Gornall, L. Jones, I. Evans (N. Smith 59), H. Evans (P. James 66). Unused sub: H. Bates.
Saturday 31st December 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 2 v 4 Carno FC

2011 ended miserably for Bow Street as they went down 4-2 at home to Carno despite leading for large parts of the game and Carno being down to ten men for the whole of the second half.
Street recalled Nicky Smith and Garmon Hafal to the starting eleven and the first half could not have gone better with Street taking a 1-0 interval lead through a Darren Middleton header and Carno having a man sent off at the stroke of half time.
In the second half Street started to press for a second goal and it looked like it was only a matter of time before they achieved that objective but an error from Hafal saw Carno equalise to keep them in the game. Street regained their lead soon afterwards through a long range effort from Gwion ap Dafydd thanks to an error from the visiting keeper and then had several chances to make the game safe with Mikey Gornall missing two glorious chances with only the keeper to beat. However, once again Carno pegged Street back via a very dubious penalty which set up a frantic last twenty minutes during which Dean Evans fired three powerful shots over the bar. Street pushed for a winner but always looked susceptible to the keeper’s long goal kicks and this proved to be their downfall when Jono Hartnell was lobbed by the Carno centre forward after Street let one such kick bounce in a dangerous position. Carno made the game safe in injury time after another penalty was converted after a foul by Stefano Antoniazzi and at the final whistle Street knew that this was another game that they had let slip through their hands.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: “I can’t fault our effort and I know we have the talent to be winning these games but our aptitude in certain departments is simply not good enough at the moment. At least three of the goals resulted from basic errors but in fairness to the defence we should have made the game safe early in the second half when we created enough chances on the break to win three games let alone this one.”. Bates added: “We’re in a real battle at the moment and this result will undoubtedly have knocked the lads’ confidence but there’s no point moaning about being down on our luck – we simply have to roll up our sleeves and prepare ourselves for a tough few months during which I am sure we will climb ourselves out of this predicament.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, T. Bates (M. Pemberthy 84), I. Evans (S. Harrison 68), G. ap Dafydd, S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, D. Middleton, M. Gornall, D. Evans, L. Jones and N. Smith (N. Evans 65). Unused sub: N. Davies.
Saturday 7th January 2012
Central Wales Cup - Round 3

Bow Street FC 2 v 1 Guilsfield FC

Bow Street pulled off one of the shocks of the third round of the Central Wales Cup on Saturday when they beat Cymru Alliance outfit Guilsfield by the odd goal in three. The day started badly for Street when influential striker Dean Evans failed a late fitness test dropping to the bench with 16 year old Hywel Evans deputising. Winger Garmon Hafal dropped into left back and Neil Evans returned to the side at right midfield. Toby Spain returning in goal his first game since his heroic display before Christmas in Tywyn Bryncrug.
Street set their stall out from the start to keep it tight with stand in manager for the day Andrew Simkin and coach Andy Evans opting to play a five man midfield with the plan to hit Guilsfield on the break. Guilsfield kept the ball well but Street were content to hold their ground with skipper Stefano Antoniazzi solid at the back and the midfield trio of Darren Middleton, Gwion ap Dafydd and Hywel Evans putting in tireless running in the middle of the park. With the first half drawing to a close Guilsfields Chris Roberts spun Ian Evans and crossed superbly for Panayotis Haralambous to head home from close range. Heads were certainly down after this as it wasn't what the home sides first half display deserved.
It would of been quite easy for Street to throw in the towel in the second half but they started the second half much better than their opponents and certainly tested the Guilsfield back four more with Lee Jones making some powerful runs into the heart of their defence from deep. On 65 minutes came the turning point in the match when Guilsfields scorer Haralambous received 2 yellow cards in quick succession, one for a foul and one for not retreating the full 10 yards from the free kick taker this prompted Simkin into taking a gamble sacrificing midfielder H.Evans for Dean Evans and cometh the hour cometh the man as 8 minutes later some fine play from Mikey Gornall on the left found Evans in the box and he fired low and hard passed the visiting goalkeeper. With the visitors on the ropes Street sensed an upset and on 80 minutes Evans lashed an unstoppable drive from all of 30 yards into the top corner for his second of the match. In the final 10 minutes the game opened up and Guilsfield were certainly not going to go out without a fight and only a superb save from Spain at the death prevented the game from going to extra time.
Stand in manager Simkin was over the moon with the win "after a couple of disappointing results over the festive period this is an absolutely phenomenal result, nothing less than the lads deserved" Simkin added "obviously Deano will take all the headlines but there were some superb performances out there, I thought Garmon, Nicky Smith and Neil Evans were excellent, and Toby kept us in it at the end but I thought skipper Stefano Antoniazzi was tremendous. We have set the standards now for the rest of the season and if we can keep up this level of performance for the rest of the season we wont go far wrong".
Huw Bates who wasn’t at the game as he is starring in the local Robin Hood production at the Aberystwyth Arts Centre commented “I’m absolutely thrilled for the lads and the club as a whole. Nobody gave us a sniff today and after our recent run of form, to beat a team from a higher league is a monumental achievement.”.
Chairman Wyn Lewis also chuffed with the result “This result proves that we are in a false position the league it was a great game and a superbe result”.
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Smith, I. Evans (T. Bates 80), S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal, N. Evans, G. Ap Dafydd, D. Middleton, H. Evans (D. Evans 65), M. Gornall, L. Jones. Subs not Used: S. Harrison.
Saturday 14th January 2011
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 1 v 3 Newbridge-on-Wye FC

Bow Street welcomed highflying Newbridge to Cae Piod hoping to build on their excellent cup win the previous week. David Gregory returned between the sticks, Ciaran Cotter made his debut in midfield after transferring from Padarn in the week. Neil Davies came in at left back and Tom Bates started at centre half. Stefano Antoniazzi and Dean Evans both on the bench after declaring themselves not fit to start.
Newbridge started the game much the better side and only some early heroics from Gregory kept the scores level but midway through the first half the breakthrough came when some sloppy defending from the Street defence gifted Newbridge the lead. Street created a couple of half chances with Michael Gornall missing a header from close range and a Lee Jones shot from twenty yards which was saved comfortably by the visiting goalkeeper. Newbridge scored again on the stroke of half time to go in two goals up at half time.
Bow Street started the second half much the better side and after 50 minutes Street took a gamble and put on both Antoniazzi and Evans, this seemed to spur the home side on and 5 minutes later Evans scored from the edge of the box after a long run and pass from Nicky Smith. Street dominated proceedings for the next twenty minutes but were unable to get the second goal, Garmon Hafal coming closest with a header which the Newbridge keeper somehow saved and Lee Jones’ close range shot blocked by a visiting defender. The turning point of the game was when Evans went around a defender in the box and was deliberately blocked off but no penalty was given. Newbridge scored a penalty late on to secure the three points.
Andrew Simkin was obviously very disappointed after the game “Newbridge dominated the first half and if anything we were a little lucky to go in only two goals down, it could have been worse” Simkin added “I have said it before this season but you cannot afford to gift sides at this level two goals start, I thought Deans incident was a definitely penalty, he went down a bit theatrical but he was clearly blocked off by the defender and was through on goal. Our first half performance cost us the game but if we take our Guilsfield performance and todays second half into the double header with Llanidloes over the next two weeks we’ll push them close on a positive note we are close to getting a few players back from injury over the next couple of weeks, Ciaran Cotter had a good debut today in midfield so competition for places is hotting up”.
Bow Street: D. Gregory, N .Smith, N. Davies (S. Antoniazzi 53), C. Cotter, T. Bates, G. Hafal, D. Middleton, M. Gornall, N. Evans (M. Loosely 80), L. Jones, H. Evans (D. Evans 53).
Saturday 28th January 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Llanidloes FC 1 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street's poor run of form in the league finally came to an end on Saturday as they put a spanner in the works of of high flying Llanidloes with gritty 1-1 away draw. Street gave Jonathan Davies his first start of the season and welcomed back Stephen Harrison into the heart of midfield together with Dean Evans who wore the captain's armband in the absence of the injured Stefano Antoniazzi.
Unsurprisingly Llanidloes dominated possession in the first twenty minutes but were unable to create any clear cut chances. Street on the other hand were limited to a few counter attacks but should have taken the lead when Tom Bates put Lee Jones through on goal but his deft chip went agonisingly wide of the post. LLani continued to press but their strikeforce found Bates and Darren Middleton a tough nut to crack in the heart of defence as they produced a superb display of defending, ably assisted by Harrison who did a sterling job of protecting the back four as Llani piled on the pressure. Street took the lead against the run of play when Jones and Evans combined to release Garmon Hafal who fired home sweetly from 12 yards and despite more Llani pressure Street held firm to half time. Street had to rejig things at the break when Harrison was replaced by Neil Evans due to a calf injury with Mikey Gornall switching to the holding role in midfield.
Street were expecting Llani to come out for the second half with all guns blazing and this proved to be the case with ex Street player Karl Seliarts crashing a superb volley against the crossbar and then equalising with a header from a magnificent cross from Jamie Breeze. At this point the large Llani crowd must have been expecting the Magpies to capitulate but instead they produced their best 45 minutes in the league this season to snatch an ulikely point and could even have won the game in the last few minutes were it not for a brilliant save by Dave Jones from an Evans free-kick.
Street manager Huw Bates was understandably delighted with his team's efforts: "After a dreadful run in the league of late to get a point here is as remarkable as it is surprising! Andy Evans sowed a seed in training on Thursday when he gave the boys a few home truths and there were a few more words exchanged before the game and to be fair Andrew (Simkin) and I got just the we were looking for from the lads who, to a man, were absolutely magnificent today.". Bates added: "That's easily our best league performance of the season as a team and there were also some great individual performances out there. Jon Davies can be very pleased with his full debut and Garmon (Hafal) and Dean (Evans) were back to their best but special mention has to go to our centre backs who were marking players who have played, and are still capable of playing a much higher standard but they hardly had a sniff today which gave the other lads a great platform upon which to build this result.".
Bow Street: T. Spain, J. Davies, C. Berner, D. Middleton, T. Bates, G. Hafal, D. Evans (H. Evans 78), M. Gornall, S. Harrison (N. Evans 46), L. Jones and N. Smith. Unused sub: H. Bates.
Saturday 18th February 2012
Central Wales Cup - Round 4

Waterloo Rovers FC 2 v 1 Bow Street FC

Bow Street failed to reach the quarter finals on Saturday with a narrow 2-1 defeat away at Waterloo. Street will be kicking themselves after they missed a penalty at the end of the first half and conceding a very soft winning goal 8 minutes before the final whistle.
Despite being without star players such as Stefano Antoniazzi, Rhys Llwyd and Darren Middleton, Street couldn't have started better and took the lead on five minutes when a glorious pass by Ciaran Cotter found Nicky Smith on the right wing who put the ball on a plate for Dean Evans who scored from 6 yards. Street continued to dominate for the next ten minutes but then allowed Waterloo to get back into the game and they deservedly equalised on 20 minutes after they wreaked havoc down the right wing and Street failed to clear their lines in the box. The home side had the better of the rest of the first half but Street should have been leading at the break but Evans had a poor penalty save after he was felled in the box.
After finally sorting out the problems they had been encountering on the left flank Street produced a much better display in the second half with Hafal hitting the bar and Coner Berner going inches wide. At the other end Waterloo were reduced to long range efforts and with eight minutes left to play the game seemed to be heading into extra time. However, one such long range effort wriggled underneath the hands of Toby Spain and despite making a couple of immediate substitutions to try and salvage the situation the damage had been done and Street went out of the cup
with a whimper.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: "Unfortunately for Dean and Toby it will be their errors that get
highlighted but we didn't lose the game because of them, we lost it because we weren't good enough collectively on the day. In the first half we were more worried about their formation than playing our own game which led directly to their equaliser. We sorted things out at half time but by then the game was on a knife-edge and in cup football it only takes a bit of luck or a mistake to make the difference and this proved to be the case today.". Bates added: "It's been a tough season but it's important to remember that we started this season with a totally decimated squad. With the subsequent signings of the likes of Stefano Antoniazzi, Mikey Gornall, Coner Berner, Lee Jones and Ciaran Cotter we have started the rebuilding process and it's only been recently that we've started to show that. We fell short today but the rebuilding will continue next season and in the meantime I hope we can restore a bit of pride in our remaining league matches.".
Bow Street: T. Spain, C. Berner, T. Bates, N. Evans, J. Scarrott, C. Cotter, G. Hafal, D. Evans, L. Jones (P. James 56), M. Gornall (H. Evans 82), N. Smith (J. Davies 85).
Saturday 3rd March 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 1 v 1 Berriew FC

Bow Street secured their second consecutive 1-1 draw in the league but will be kicking themselves for letting two points slip after Berriew equalised from a corner in the 86th minute. Street welcomed back Owain James into the heart of defence after a few months travelling and have a first start of the season to Lee “Bubble” Jones on the left hand side of midfield.
Street should have taken the lead within the first few minutes but Dean Evans fired narrowly wide but at the other end Berriew missed a glorious chance to score when their centre half headed wide from 6 yards. Street had the better of the chances in the first half but Evans and Garmon Hafal were repeatedly thwarted by the Berriew goalkeeper. Street eventually did take the lead when Ciaran Cotter volleyed home a James cross and Street deservedly took that lead into the second half.
Evans and Hafal continued to be a threat and when the former set up the latter on the hour it seemed odds on that Street would double their lead but Hafal steered his shot agonisingly wide. Toby Spain had one of his more peaceful halves in goal for the Magpies but could do nothing to prevent the Berriew equaliser four minutes from time when their centre forwarded headed home from close range and although Street will be disappointed not to have won all three points, they have at least now strung two decent performances together in the league.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game “After getting hammered by Berriew earlier in the season I probably would have taken a point at the start of the game. Having said that, to concede so late is always bitterly disappointing.”.
Bates added: “In fairness we only have ourselves to blame as we missed several glorious opportunities to double our lead and our defending leading up to their crucial corner was typically indecisive but there were still plenty of positives with Ciaran Cotter showing that he could be a superb acquisition for us next season, Owain James playing like he had never been away and Garmon Hafal running himself to a standstill for the good of the team.”.
Bow Street’s next game is at 10.30am on Saturday at Vicarage Fields as the University welcome 300 groundhoppers in what promises to be an exciting day for the Mid Wales League.
Street: T. Spain, C. Berner, N. Evans, D. Middleton, O. James, L. Jones (Rh. Llwyd 56), M. Gornall (J. Davies 86), C. Cotter, N. Smith, D. Evans and G. Hafal (L. Jones 81). Unused subs: N. Davies and M. Pemberthy.
Saturday 10th March 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

UWA FC 0 v 1 Bow Street FC

Lee Jones came off the bench to ruin the University’s big day as Bow Street beat the Uni 1-0 in front of 200 ‘groundhoppers’ at Vicarage Fields. For the first time this season Street were able to name an unchanged side to the one that drew with Berriew the previous week as Street looked to extend their unbeaten run to three games.
The first half was a scrappy affair with both defences dominating but two minutes before the interval the Uni were reduced to 10 men after Gareth Jones was dismissed for a two footed lunge on Street’s Neil Evans who had to be replaced by Tom Bates as a result of the challenge.
In the second half the Uni upped their game and were denied the lead on several occasions by last gasp headers and tackles from Bates, Owain James and the impressive Darren Middleton. With the Uni in the ascendency Street were forced to make further changes and introduced Gwyn Jones for his first appearance of the season and then Jones for Mikey Gornall with 25 minutes left on the clock. Gwyn Jones had an immediate impact and started causing mayhem in the centre of the park with his relentless tackling and hounding of the Uni midfield who were already a man down but with 5 minutes left to go the Magpies had failed to get Lee Jones into the game. That was soon to change however as Street created a goal fit to win any match and it was greatly appreciated by the capacity crowd. Garmon Hafal started the move as he bulldozered his way through the centre of the park to set up veteran Nicky Smith on the right wing. Smith looked up and pinged the ball fully 50 yards into the path of Jones who volleyed home from six yards to the delight of the Street management and supporters. The Uni pushed hard for an equaliser but Street held firm for their first league victory of 2012.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly delighted with the victory: “The University were typically ungracious in defeat but to be fair to their players they performed superbly with ten men and I think a draw would have been a fair result. However, I’m absolutely thrilled for the lads who have kept plugging away this season despite really struggling in the league and it was really refreshing to see them grind out a victory in such a high pressure six pointer.”. Bates was also keen to praise his match-winner: “Andrew (Simkin) and I are constantly criticised for selecting Lee but today was a perfect example of why we have showed faith in him. He might not be everyone’s cup of tea but there was nobody else I would have rathered on the end of that ball from Smudger.”. Street’s next game is at home to Waterloo on Saturday and they will be looking to exact revenge for their cup defeat last month.
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Evans (T. Bates 43), C. Berner, D. Middleton, O. James, M. Gornall (L. Jones 66), L. Jones (G. Jones 55), C. Cotter, N. Smith, G. Hafal and D. Evans. Unused subs: H. Evans and J. Davies.
Saturday 17th March 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 5 v 2 Waterloo Rovers FC

Bow Street produced their best 45 minutes of the season to beat Waterloo Rovers 5-2 at Cae Piod despite being 2-1 down at half time. Street recalled Lee Jones to the starting line up and gave Jonathan Davies his second start of the season in the absence of left back Coner Berner.
Street started well and took the lead after ten minutes when Garmon Hafal headed home a superb Nicky Smith cross but Waterloo had the better of the remainder of the first half while Street looked lethargic and lacklustre.
However, Street looked a completely different outfit in the second half and with Stefano Antoniazzi making his first appearance for several months the Magpies started to claw themselves back into the game. Street equalised within ten minutes of the restart when Ciaran Cotter slotted home and five minutes later Street took the lead when Jones and Cotter set up Mikey Gornall to score his second goal of the season. Further goals from Owain James and substitute Matthew Pemberthy sealed the victory to take Street’s unbeaten run to four games.
Street manager Huw Bates was clearly overjoyed with the victory: “We were very poor for most of the first half and as a result we had a major blood-letting at half time. It wasn’t pretty but the reaction from the players was exactly what I was hoping for and to be fair the boys played out of their skins in the second half.”.
Bates added: “The likes of Stefano (Antoniazzi), Ciaran (Cotter), Owain (James) and Darren (Middleton) were all absolutely outstanding but all have missed large chunks of the season and our league position is a reflection of this but it’s very rewarding that even at this late stage the lads are putting a great run together to make sure we end the season on a high.”.
Assistant manager Andrew Simkin added: “The boys were all excellent in the second half but the most pleasing performance for me was from Mikey Gornall whose goal capped his best display of 2012, if not of the season.”.
Street’s next game is on the 28th March at 6.15pm in Bow Street against Aberystwyth University.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Evans, J. Davies, D. Middleton, O. James, G. Hafal (S. Antoniazzi), M. Gornall, C. Cotter, D. Evans (H. Evans 79), L. Jones (M. Pemberthy 68) and N. Smith. Unused subs: L. Jones and T. Bates.
Wednesday 28th March 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 0 v 0 UWA FC

Bow Street took their unbeaten run in the league to 5 games after a goalless draw with the University at Cae Piod but will be kicking themselves that they did not convert a solitary chance over 90 minutes which would have secured their third victory on the bounce.
Having said that, Street had Jonathan Hartnell to thank for securing a point in the dying minutes as he produced a superb save to deny the University a smash and grab victory. Street had the better of the first half with Matthew Pemberthy linking well with Dean Evans and Mikey Gornall on numerous occasions but amazingly it was Hartnell who came closest to opening the scoring when the visiting keeper was forced to make an excellent save from a long clearance that would otherwise have bounced into the back of the net.
In the second half Gornall and Evans both had good chances to break the deadlock but Street’s best opportunity came when Garmon Hafal headed over from a superb Gornall cross. Both teams pressed hard for the victory but ultimately both defences held firm to give both sides a deserved share of the spoils.
Street manager Huw Bates said after the game: “Ultimately I’m pleased with the clean sheet and the fact that we’ve kept our unbeaten run in tact but at the same time I’m slightly disappointed that we couldn’t create a single moment of quality to turn one point into three. Nevertheless, bearing in mind Jono’s excellent save at the end I think a draw was about a fair result and I certainly can’t fault our defensive performance against a very decent Uni side.”.
Street captain Dean Evans added: “We’ve shown once again that the spirit in the dressing room is good at the moment by grinding out another result but ultimately me and the other attacking players have to hold our hands up and say that we didn’t emulate the performance of our defenders. We have a really tricky fixture on Saturday away to Newbridge but we know that on our day we can beat anyone so hopefully we can be competitive for 90 minutes if not produce a bit of an upset.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Evans, C. Berner, S. Antoniazzi, O. James, N. Smith, M. Gornall, G. Hafal, C. Cotter, D. Evans and M. Pemberthy (L. Jones 68). Unused subs: J. Davies, L. O. Jones, H. Evans and T. Bates
Saturday 31st March 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Newbridge FC 2 v 5 Bow Street FC

Bow Street produced one of the biggest shocks of the Spar Mid Wales League season on Saturday and in the process put a serious dent in Newbridge's title hopes as the Magpies humbled their high flying hosts on their own turf.
Street made only one change from their midweek draw with the University with Toby Spain replacing Jonathan Hartnell in goal but all of the action was at the other end of the pitch in the first ten minutes as Bow Street raced into a two goal lead. Street's first goal came when Coner Berner found Garmon Hafal on the left wing who in turn found Nicky Smith who skipped one challenge and lofted a perfect ball to the back post which was met by Dean Evans who looped his header over the Newbridge goalkeeper. Five minutes later Street doubled their lead when a Stefano Antoniazzi freekick was headed home by Hafal. Newbridge replied soon after and pressed for an equaliser but Street held firm and restored their two goal advantage after 30 minutes when Evans fired home from 20 yards with the help of a deflection. An Owain James own goal brought Newbridge back into the game but seconds before the half time whistle Street produced the move of the match to give Street a 4-2 lead at the break. Good work from Hafal and Ciaran Cotter saw the ball finding its way to Smith on the edge of the box whereupon he scooped the ball over two Newbridge defenders into the path of Mikey Gornall who squared the ball to Matthew Pemberthy whose first touch took him away from his marker giving him the space to fire home.
In the second half Newbridge inevitably threw the kitchen sink at Bow Street but were thwarted by some impressive defending from Antoniazzi, James and particularly Neil Evans. This gave Street the opportunity to catch Newbridge on the counter-attack and they made the game safe when Pemberthy rifled home from 25 yards in the last minute of the game.
Street manager Huw Bates was overjoyed with his side's display: "I gave the lads a challenge at the start of the month: to go unbeaten for the whole of March. Not only have they risen to the challenge, they have absolutely smashed it out of the park!”.
Bates added: "All eleven players played out of their skins today and all three goalscorers had massive games but special mention has to go to the elder statesman in the side, Nicky Smith, who had his best game in a Bow Street shirt for as long as i can remember and his two assists in the first half were both sublime.".
Team Captain Dean Evans added: "That's six games unbeaten and we're up to 7th in the league sp hopefully that will keep the doom-mongers quiet for a bit, especially as if we win our last game against Builth, we will equal last season's points tally.".
Bow Street: T. Spain, N. Evans, C. Berner, O. James, S. Antoniazzi, C. Cotter, N. Smith, G. Hafal, M. Gornall, M. Pemberthy and D. Evans. Unused subs: N. Davies, P. James, A. Jones and H. Bates.
Saturday 7th April 2012
Spar Mid Wales League - Division 1

Bow Street FC 1 v 3 Builth Wells FC

Bow Street finished their fifth season in the Spar Mid Wales league with a 3-1 defeat to Builth Wells but will end the season comfortably in mid-table.
Street recalled Darren Middleton and Tom Bates to the starting line up in the absence of Owain James and Nicky Smith and dominated the first 15 minutes of the game with some of the best passing football they have played all season. However, after failing to capitalise on their early dominance they started to over-play their hand and went behind after Neil Evans gave away a penalty from a needlessly conceded corner on the twenty minute mark.
In the second half Street again started well but failed to clear their lines from a corner and were duly punished by a slick Builth Wells move. To their credit Street then dominated the remainder of the game and changed to a more attacking formation as they tried to end the season on a high and were rewarded when Dean Evans scored from the penalty spot after he was felled in the box. However, Street’s hard work was undone 10 seconds from the restart when Builth scored as a result of a defensive catastrophe and despite their best efforts and a Neil Evans wonder-strike that rattled the crossbar, Street’s unbeaten run fell at the seventh and final hurdle.
Street manager Huw Bates, whose second spell in charge of Bow Street came to an end at the final whistle, was clearly disappointed with the result but full of admiration for the way his players have performed over recent weeks: “I’m obviously a bit disappointed that the season has finished with a bit of a whimper but I cannot fault the lads’ commitment, loyalty and effort over the past 6 weeks that has secured our place in the league for another season and given Simmo (Andrew Simkin) an excellent platform upon which to build for next season.”.
Bates added: “It was very fitting that Deano scored the last goal of my time as manager as he has been a mainstay of the team for most of my years in charge but I’m very grateful to all of the boys who have stuck by me this year in what has undoubtedly been the biggest challenge of my managerial career.”.
Bates added: “It’s a strange feeling to have finished the season at the start of April but it gives Simmo over 5 months to plan for next season and so hopefully we can hit the ground running in August and I for one will be 100% behind him and the boys next year.”.
Bow Street: J. Hartnell, N. Evans, C. Berner (L. Jones 68), T. Bates, S. Antoniazzi, G. Hafal (J. Davies 46), D. Evans, M. Gornall, C. Cotter, M. Pemberthy (L. O. Jones 84) and D. Middleton. Unused subs: N. Davies and H. Evans.