Bow Street 1 v 1 Welshpool Town

Neil Evans in action v Welshpool Town
Neil Evans in possession for the Street. Photo courtesy of Bev Hemmings.
Spar Mid Wales League – Division 1

Saturday 28/01

A sizeable crowd witnessed an incident packed game which eventually finished in frustration for the home side. Despite dominating large amounts of the game, Bow Street were unable to complete a victory which would have consolidated their status of fourth in the league. This was due in no small part to the man of the match, Welshpool goalkeeper Ed Harding who celebrated his 18th birthday in style with an excellent display

Bow Street took the lead after twenty minutes with an excellent finish from Tomos Williams. Then, all present expected more goals to follow but inadequate finishing and Harding’s heroics meant they were restricted to one goal. Then, unexpectedly in the last minutes of the half, Welshpool on a rare foray in to the Bow Street half were awarded a penalty which William Pritchard duly converted

Fifteen minutes in to the second half, Bow Street were reduced to ten men following a straight red card for goalkeeper Ben Williams for a ‘last man’ challenge. Tomos Wyn Roberts took over in goal. Strangely this inspired B15 minutes to deny the hosts. Bow Street to dominate the rest of the game. They threw everything at Welshpool, hitting the bar, but more often than not, the goalkeeper of Welshpool denied them. Harding pulled off four mecurial saves in the last 15 minutes to deny the hosts. Saves from Tomos Williams and Matthew Pemberthy were particularly noteworthy. Welshpool had defender Ed Baker sent off near the end following a two footed challenge.

Manager Barry Williams said “Strange game today, we did not play well enough, but should have won the game. The boys are both frustrated and disappointed with the outcome”

Welspool joint manager, Neil Price stated, “We have to be more than happy with this point. This is always a difficult place to visit, and Bow Street are an excellent team”